Embark on a culinary journey with our Abalone & Oyster Mushrooms on Toast, crowned with the tangy allure of Pickled Shallots.
- 2 x Abalone (strained keeping 1 tbsp of brine)
- 200g Oyster mushrooms (torn into thin strips)
- 4 slices thick cut bread (brioche, sourdough)
- 3 Tbs Flat leaf Parsley (washed and chopped)
- ½ Lemon (zested and juiced)
- 2 Tbs Sherry vinegar
- 3 Tbs Olive oil
- 1 x golden shallots sliced
- 4 Golden shallots (thinly sliced)
- 100 Milk
- 50 gr Butter
- Strain the abalone, save 1 tablespoon of the brine for this recipe and reserve the rest for future use. Dry the abalone with paper towel lightly season and set aside.
- Tear the oyster mushroom and set aside.
- Make a dressing with the parsley, abalone brine, lemon zest & juice, sherry vinegar, olive oil and 1 of the thinly sliced shallots. Season & lightly stir to combine.
- Add the remaining shallots, milk and butter to a saucepan and cook on a gentle heat until soft and reduced by half and then blend to a purée and adjust the seasoning.
Have your dressing set aside in a large enough bowl to toss the abalone and mushrooms in once cooked.
Heat a pan over high heat, add a little vegetable or olive oil and when hot add the abalone, flat side down to pan and sear for 1 minute, then remove from pan.
Lower pan heat to medium and then add a little more oil. Add the oyster mushrooms and sauté until lightly golden, then season and remove from the pan and place into the bowl with the dressing.
Thinly slice the abalone and add to the dressing. Gently toss to combine the ingredients.
Toast your choice of bread, add a dollop of the shallot purée and then top with the abalone and mushroom mix. Spoon over a little more dressing and enjoy!