Experience a culinary masterpiece with our Charcoal Abalone, adorned in Rosella Hoisin, complemented by the richness of Macadamia, and a touch of Saltbush.
- 4 x abalone (sliced for skewers)
- 4 x Skewers
- *100 ml rosella syrup
- 1 tsp hoisin
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbs mirin
*Note: if you can’t get hold of rosella syrup, you can replace it with a tablespoon of plum or cherry jam
- 200g raw macadamias
- 250ml vegetarian stock
- 2 tsp sherry vinegar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- *10g saltbush flakes
*Note: use 5-10gms of celery salt if you don’t have saltbush flakes
- Make the rosella hoisin glaze by combining all the ingredients.
- Make the macadamia purée by adding all ingredients and blending in a high-speed blender until smooth.
- Skewer the sliced abalone, then brush with the rosella hoisin.
- Heat your charcoal BBQ (a regular BBQ is fine) and place the skewers onto the grill. Cook for 30 seconds, turn and brush with the hoisin. Cook for a further 30 seconds, turn again, brush with the hoisin and repeat this process for 2 minutes.
Place abalone skewers onto a flat serving dish with a little of the macadamia purée and a little of the rosella hoisin. Top with the chopped macadamia nuts and a sprinkle of sea salt.