Experience the ocean’s bounty in a delightful harmony of flavors with our Grilled Abalone dish, paired with vibrant sea grapes, crisp cucumber, and an exquisite Sansho dressing.
- 4 x abalone (reserve juice and chill)
- *20 gr sea grapes (soak in 80 ml of abalone brine to bloom)
- 10 fresh red grapes (sliced)
- 1 x continental cucumber (peeled and diced)
*Note: you can substitute sea grapes with washed and rinsed baby capers (to remove a little saltiness) and then soaked in the abalone liquid
- Sansho powder to season (can substitute with ground Sechuan pepper)
- 1 Tbs mirin
- 3 Tbs rice vinegar
- 4 Tbs light flavoured oil (grapeseed)
Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a bowl and set aside.
Heat a pan to high heat with no oil and when hot place the abalone into the pan, pressing down to heavily sear the abalone meat, which will add a slight smokiness. Remove abalone from the pan and while still warm, thinly slice and place in the dressing. Set aside to allow to cool.
Meanwhile add the sea grapes to the reserved chilled abalone brine to ‘bloom’. They will double in size. Slice the red grapes, dice the cucumber and season lightly with salt and pepper.
When the abalone is cool, arrange with the condiments on a serving plate and drizzle with the sansho dressing.